It’s time to start looking for the best fishing pants (for men) once you have all of your other gear settled. To keep you from getting overly wet and cold while out on the water, these specialty pants have plenty of great features to keep you comfortable. We’ve found five stellar pairs for you to take into consideration.
Best Fishing Pants (For Men) Reviews
1. Jessie Kidden Men’s Outdoor Pants
With a style you would expect from fishing pants, this pair from Jessie Kidden is great for hiking and fishing. These are zip-off pants that easily convert to shorts, and have plenty of cargo pockets. Also, these pants are available in khaki, grey, and army green.
The main features of the Jessie Kidden Men’s Outdoor Pants include:
- Quick Drying Fabric: Perfect for fishers on the hunt for a pair of pants that will keep them dry, these are designed with quick-drying fabric. Once wet, they should only take a couple of minutes to dry when in the sun. You can also machine wash them and dry them like any other pair of pants.
- Lightweight Protective Fabric: Not only is the fabric of the pants lightweight and moderately breathable, but they also feature UPF sun protection. The material helps to shield your skin from UVA or UVB radiation while outdoors.
- Water Repellant: Another advantage of the pants’ material is that it’s water repellant and resistant to wear. Over time, they will only get more comfortable rather than look worn and used.
- Zippered Pant Legs: Say you feel like switching to shorts when the day is at its hottest. Instead of having to bring an extra pair of pants, you can quickly zip off the bottom half of the pant legs. You’ll mostly have two pairs of legwear in one comfortable pair of pants.
- Elastic Closure: There’s no need to worry about dealing with zippers and buttons, as the waistband of these pants is designed with an elastic closure. You’ll also notice it has a practical buckle on the front so you can quickly get in and out of the pants. The elastic waistband also makes it easier to create a custom fit that is comfortable all day.
- Built-in Belt: If you’re concerned about choosing the right size, you’ll be glad to know the pants come with their belt as well.
- Multiple Pockets: When searching for fishing pants, you’ll surely want to choose a pair that has plenty of storage space. These pants have two front slant pockets, two pockets on the thigh, two back pockets, and an additional slanted zipper pocket on the right side.
What to Like About It
The Jessie Kidden Men’s Outdoor Pants is made from a lightweight and comfortable material, which is highly recommended for summer fishing. The material also feels like it is highly durable and resistant to tearing, so it is ideal for outdoor activities. With the help of the elastic closure and built-in belt, the pants are easily adjustable so you can have the perfect fit.
What Not to Like About It
Even though these fishing pants are easy to adjust, the belt isn’t designed for longevity. It feels incredibly cheap to the touch and is likely to break after a few wears. You’ll also notice the pockets on the pants aren’t as versatile as you would hope, as a few are sewn up and cannot be used.
Be sure to pay close attention to the sizing chart upon ordering, as well, since the Jessie Kidden Men’s Outdoor Pants may arrive in a larger size than anticipated.
- Very cool and lightweight
- Last a long time
- Easily adjustable
- Poorly made belt
- Pockets poorly designed
- Fit larger than expected
2. Gash Hao Men’s Snow Pants
If you prefer to fish in colder weather, you’ll want to make sure you have a pair of insulated pants to keep you warm. The Gash Hao Men’s Snow Pants is a great option as they are fully lined with fleece but remain functional and easy to move in. Available in black and grey, these pants can easily fit into anyone’s fishing wardrobe.
The main features of the Gash Hao Men’s Snow Pants include:
- Button Closure and Belt Loops: When you put the pants on for the first time, you might want a more tailored fit. Luckily, the button closure helps to offer security, and you can add your belt for more custom fit.
- 100% Polyester: Polyester is a phenomenal material as it is soft against the skin and insulating, but yet slightly breathable. As these pants are made entirely from polyester, you’ll find that they are much more comfortable than other fishing pants.
- Water Resistant and Windproof: There’s nothing worse than having cold legs when you’re out on the water. This is why we love that these pants are both water-resistant and windproof. You won’t have to worry about moisture permeating the material, keeping you warm and dry all day.
- Quick Drying: In the event the pants do get wet, you can guarantee they’ll dry before you can feel any moisture. This feature is in addition to their insulation from granule fleece, which gives you a fantastic amount of warmth.
- Boot Zippers: Perfect for people who prefer to wear boots while fishing, there are zippers at the bottom of the pant legs. You can easily adjust the width of the cuff, so the pants will fit over your boots.
- Adjustable Waist: The waistband on these pants is fully adjustable, and it is also stretchy. You’re unlikely to find more comfortable insulated pants for outdoor activities.
- Multiple Pockets: You’ll love the number of pockets on these pants as it’s not too many or too few. There are two large zipper pockets on the side as well as zippered rear and front pockets. Also, the pocket on the back of the pants is padded to protect your valuables.
- Multi-Layered Design: There are a few layers added to the pant legs that you’ll appreciate. First, there’s the fleece-lined insulation, followed by the waterproof and windproof membrane. There is then a rugged rip-stop outer layer that is both anti-static and water-resistant.
What to Like About It
What you’ll love the most about these pants is how warm they keep you, especially when in frigid weather. The high-quality sport fleece lining makes sure your legs remain as warm as possible without taking away from the style of the pants. Compared to other fishing pants, it looks like a lot of attention to detail was put into them, especially in the pockets.
What Not to Like About It
Unfortunately, the Gash Hao Men’s Snow Pants is advertised as waterproof but is very poor at resisting water. The knee areas are also a problem, as they are designed for a full range of motion but are lacking insulation. The final issue with these fishing pants is that the button closure is sewn on poorly and may pop off without warning.
- Feel similar to technical sport fleece
- Pockets keep belongings secure
- Keep legs very warm
- Look professionally made
- Not fully waterproof
- Knee areas get cold quickly
- The button is sewn on poorly
3. Columbia Silver Ridge Pants
Columbia is a well-known brand when it comes to outdoor gear, and their fishing pants have plenty to offer. With most of Columbia’s patented technology, these pants are designed to manage moisture, provide sun protection, and convert into shorts. Similar to the first pair of pants we discussed, these have the traditional style you’d expect from fishing pants.
The main features of the Columbia Silver Ridge Pants include:
- 100% Nylon: Instead of polyester, these pants are made from 100% nylon, which makes them quick drying as well as lightweight. Although they aren’t insulated for cold weather, they are a great pair to have for summer fishing.
- Partial Elastic Waistband: To achieve a more comfortable fit, you’ll notice the waistband features a few pieces of elastic. The elastic helps to give you a more extensive range of motion while standing and sitting for optimal comfort.
- Omni-Wick Moisture Management: As one of the types of patented technology in these pants, they feature Omni-Wick moisture management. This technology makes the pants water-resistant and at times, entirely waterproof. It also assists in making the fabric dry much faster.
- Omni-Shade Protection: Designed to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, the Omni-Shade technology offers up to UPF 50 protection.
- Convertible Pants: Instead of owning only one pair of legwear, these pants are also meant to be converted into shorts. Just above the knee, there are two zippers that you can unzip to transform the pants into a breathable and lightweight pair of ten-inch shorts.
- Security Pockets: All of the pockets on these pants are meant to keep your valuables safe while fishing. They have flaps as well as zippers, so you won’t have to worry about losing your wallet or keys.
- Multiple Colors: There are a few different colors you can choose from when buying these pants, including cypress, gravel, collegiate navy, major, and peat moss.
What to Like About It
The Columbia Silver Ridge Pants has a lot of unique features that other fishing pants don’t, such as specialized mesh pockets that prevent friction. We also love how quickly the fabric dries, meanwhile keeping you fresh on the warmest days of the year. When it comes time to wash the pants, they are easy to launder, as they can be machine washed and dried with ease.
What Not to Like About It
These fishing pants surely aren’t recommended for cold weather as they don’t have any lining and are very breathable. You’ll have to layer them with thermal pants to stay comfortable if you’re fishing outdoors. The material of the pants is also thin and slippery, which makes them incredibly prone to wrinkles.
- Mesh and friction-free pockets
- Dry quickly when damp
- Feel lightweight and cool
- Easy to clean and dry
- Need to be layered for cold weather
- Thin and slippery material
- Pockets may be slick
- Wrinkles very easily
4. Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants
The Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants has a straightforward design that makes it comfortable and relaxed. There aren’t a substantial amount of features; however, these pants are designed for everyday wear. For a more realistic style, these pants are a pair you should consider.
The main characteristics of the Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants include:
- Lightweight Materials: Crafted with a blend of spandex (12%) and nylon (88%), these pants are highly flexible and breathable. They’re an excellent option for warmer weather, though they will need to be layered for cold weather.
- Resistant to Wear: With the benefit of wear-resistant pants, you can guarantee these are designed to last several years. The exterior material is also resistant to scratches, which makes them perfect for other outdoor activities such as hiking. You’ll notice the fabric has exceptional elasticity without the worry of stretching out the fabric.
- DuPont Teflon Coating: As the most notable advanced technology included in these pants, they have a durable DuPont Teflon Coating. This coating helps to make the material repellant against stains and liquid, keeping the pants in their original condition.
- Sun Protection: With the ability to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, these pants feature up to UPF 50 protection while outdoors.
- Four-Way Flex: If you’ve worn fishing pants that are restricting in the past, it can be challenging to maximize your movements. The Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants features a four-way flex that allows you to move freely without the constraints of tight fabric. The pants feel moderately elastic so that you can move freely.
- Multi-Purpose Pockets: There are numerous pockets on these pants that you’ll appreciate, as most have security closures. There are two front slant pockets, two large security cargo pockets with YKK zippers, and two straight pockets. The cargo pockets also feature COOLMAX lining made from mesh to keep the pants breathable.
- Adjustable Waist: For a more custom fit, there is an adjustable belt with a metal buckle included with your order. There is also a YKK zipper closure on the front of the pants for a more secure fit.
What to Like About It
Most of the things you’d want in the best pair of fishing pants are in the Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants. It is resistant to water, breathable in warm weather, and crafted from high-quality fabric. No matter what outdoor activity you’re doing, you won’t have to worry about the pants tearing and they dry incredibly quickly if you are caught in a downpour.
What Not to Like About It
The main issue you will have with the Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants is that it doesn’t have belt loops, and the only belt is a built-in one. Some have suggested that the belt is poorly made and virtually useless. Without the ability to add your belt, you will have to be quite particular with the size you order.
- Highly water-resistant
- Very comfortable
- Highly breathable
- Don’t tear easily
- Easy to pack
- Dry very quickly
- Poorly made belt
- Don’t have belt loops
5. INBIKE Winter Outdoor Pants
As another pair of insulated fishing pants, we have the INBIKE Winter Outdoor Pants. It is designed for multiple outdoor sports, including fishing, and has a few exciting features to make a note of. If you need a pair of fishing pants designed to keep you warm, this is a great alternative option.
The main characteristics of the INBIKE Winter Outdoor Pants include:
- Quick Drying Fabric: As a feature found in most fishing pants, these are also quick to dry when they get wet. Constructed from 100% polyester, they can wick moisture away, so you can stay warm and dry for longer.
- Flexible Design: You’ll appreciate the highly elastic feel of these pants that don’t restrict your movements. The polyester works with your body, so you don’t feel restricted, and there is also an elastic waistband included for a more custom fit.
- Thermal Features: On the inside of the pants, there is plenty of insulation to keep you warm without feeling overly padded. You’ll also find that the thermal lining helps to keep the pants more windproof while outdoors. These pants are recommended to be worn anywhere from 20 degrees F to 50 degrees F.
- Reflective Detailing: As a convenient and safe feature, the pants also have reflective details, which include a reflective logo and stripes on the side of the pants. You’ll easily be visible in low light conditions.
- Loose Knee Design: It can be challenging to get a full range of motion when your pants restrict your legs. This is why we love the free knee design on these pants since it allows your legs to extend and bend freely.
- Drawstring Closure: You can easily throw these pants on while you’re heading out the door as they don’t have a zipper or button closure, but instead a drawstring. The closure also allows you to tighten the pants as necessary for improved security.
What to Like About It
If you’re searching for fishing pants that are insulated and water-resistant, these are a great pair to consider. The INBIKE Winter Outdoor Pants easily prevents water from penetrating the inner layers of the pants, keeping them soft and comfortable against your skin. You may also appreciate the extra room in the seat of the pants, especially while hiking.
What Not to Like About It
The main downfall of the INBIKE Winter Outdoor Pants is the pockets. None of the pockets on the pants feature zippers, which renders them useless for storing your valuables. You might also want to consider an alternative pair of fishing pants if you’re looking for a pair to wear in summer as this is far too warm.
- Water beads on the surface
- Soft and comfortable
- Feature extra room in the rear
- Feel very durable
- Pockets don’t have zippers
- Too warm to wear in summer
- Fit poorly on short customers
When you begin your hunt for fishing pants, there are numerous things to pay close attention to. You’ll need a pair of water-resistant pants, but it should also protect your skin from the sun. You’ll also want a full range of motion. In this buyer’s guide, we’ll go over essential items to look for when you start shopping.
1. Moisture Protection
There’s no debate when it comes to asking if you’ll get wet while fishing. It’s more likely to get damp than it is to stay dry, which is why you’ll need a pair of pants with high-quality moisture protection. Ideally, the pants you choose should be waterproof, but if not, then you should opt for a water repellent pair.
Most water repellent pants will feature an exterior coating designed to make the water bead and roll off of the surface. This coating will give you the peace of mind you need to know that you won’t be stuck with soaking wet pants.
Another vital aspect of moisture protection is whether the fabric is quick-drying or not. The faster your pants can dry, the easier they will be to stay warm and comfortable while on the water. Also, you’ll notice they are much easier to launder.
Pockets are undoubtedly one of the most important parts of fishing gear, as you’ll want to be able to carry all your accessories on your person. With that said, you’re going to need a variety of pockets at your disposal ranging from secure pockets to easily accessible ones. The best fishing pants will have over four pockets, including two secure cargo pockets, for you to use.
All the pockets should feature a closure, whether it’s Velcro or a zipper. High-quality closures help to ensure your valuables are kept safe and won’t fall into the water. With that said, most of the high-quality fishing pants you’ll find will come with numerous pockets to put to good use.
As with any pants, the material they are made of can make or break the way they feel against your skin. This fact is particularly true if you have sensitive skin prone to chafing when you start sweating. Most fishing pants are made of either nylon or polyester, which are both great options.
Nylon and polyester are known to be highly breathable, which is essential for fishing in warmer weather. However, if you’re fishing in the winter, you’ll want to opt for a pair with thermal lining. An added advantage to polyester is that it’s softer against the skin than nylon.
The material of your fishing pants also holds bearing over their longevity. The weaker the materials are, the less likely the pants are to last over years of wear. It’s best if you can find a pair of rip-stop pants that come with a protective layer that prevents rips and tears.
4. Convertible Design
Plenty of fishers prefer to have pants that can easily transition to shorts, based on weather. This is because it can be uncomfortable to sit in pants in sweltering weather, or you might need to switch into pants if it begins to rain. The best fishing pants give you the ability to convert from pants to shorts with the help of zippers or Velcro.
Typically, the zippers will be located at or above the knee and are easy to access. You can experience all the benefits of the full-length pants, such as water resistance, but also stay chiller.
When you’re wrangling fish, the last thing you’ll want to deal with is a pair of restrictive pants. Your chosen pair of fishing pants should move with your body, also known as four-way flex. No matter how you move, they should accommodate any twists and turns.
It’s especially important to make sure the knee area of the pants isn’t restricted. As you’ll likely be bending and standing straight during your fishing trip, your pants should be able to work with you. This is why you might prefer a pair of polyester pants, as they are likely to be slightly more flexible than nylon.
1. What Are the Different Types of Fishing Pants?
You’ll easily be able to find numerous types of fishing pants, but there are three that are the most popular. Waders, boat and shore fishing pants, and ice fishing pants are similar in a few ways but are useful for different reasons. Depending on the type of fishing you usually do, you’ll be able to appreciate one pair more than the others.
- Waders: These pants are designed to keep the wearer dry for hours on end, even if you’re in the middle of a rushing stream. Typically constructed out of neoprene, your warders won’t snag or tear on things under the water, such as branches. In most cases, waders are available in bib form, which fit similar to overalls and give you a full chest pocket to use.
- Boat and Shore: Boat and shore fishing pants are designed just like most of the pairs we’ve discussed in this guide. They are fantastic for fishing either on the shore or on your boat and keep you dry, fresh, and have superior sun protection. You’ll also appreciate how their nylon or polyester shell helps to keep bugs away from your skin.
- Ice Fishing Pants: The thing that makes ice fishing pants differ is that they have superior insulation, as they are designed for harsh environments. These pants are also designed to give you floatation protection if you happen to break through the ice. With that said, ice fishing pants are the most expensive, but they are also a necessity to keep you safe.
2. Are Fishing Pants Good for Hiking?
One of the most notable benefits of plenty of types of fishing pants is they are durable enough to be worn for numerous outdoor activities. You can bet that fishing pants are good for hiking, as long as you choose a pair that are comfortable and easy to move in. You’ll also want to make sure they are breathable, especially if you’re hiking in warm weather.
With bug and sun protection, the ability to convert the pants into shorts, and water resistance, they work well with all of your other hiking gear.
3. Do Fishing Pants Work?
There are plenty of advanced fishermen who suggest you can wear relatively anything you want on the water, and this is true. However, if you’re going to be as comfortable and safe as possible, you’ll want to find the perfect pair of fishing pants. Not only does it protect you from the elements, but it also makes your trip far more enjoyable.
You won’t have to worry about wearing restricting denim that takes forever to dry, or a pair of sweatpants that will be heavy and uncomfortable after a few minutes. It also gives you the ability to choose between shorts and pants, depending on bug activity and temperature. Designed specifically for fishing, we would say that fishing pants indeed work in your favor.
4. How to Tie Fishing Pants?
Learning how to tie fishing pants depends entirely on the type of pants you have purchased. Some arrive with button closures, and others have drawstrings. The primary purpose of learning how to tie fishing pants is to make sure you choose a fit that is snug without being too restricting.
You’ll be moving a lot while fishing, and as such, your pants should feel secure on your hips or waist but should allow for a full range of motion. You may also want to consider opting for a pair that comes with an elastic waistband for an even more custom fit.
5. Are Fishing Pants Waterproof?
In many cases, yes, fishing pants are waterproof, but there are a lot of pairs that claim to be and are more water repellent. Your best option when searching for waterproof fishing pants is to opt for pants that have a high-quality exterior coating designed to prevent water penetration. You can also buy special fabric sprays that add an extra layer of protection to your fishing gear.
Our Final Recommendation
Our choice for the best fishing pants (for men) is undoubtedly the Free Solider Outdoor Cargo Pants because of their flexibility and water resistance. With the innovative DuPont Teflon Coating, you won’t have to worry about getting soaking wet while fishing. The four-way flex of the fabric is also ideal for having a full range of motion.